Saturday, August 29, 2009

Week One to a Close


So the first week is coming to an end. Over the past day or two other students have started arriving. They look so young; like zygotes in flip flops. Many are straight out of under grad and are still firmly nestled under their parents' wings. Even though we aren't THAT old there is still a marked difference in demeanor and mentality between us and them.
We have had an orientation leader named Rachael (I didn't have the heart to tell her she spelled her own name wrong) who is going into her 6th semester at Ross. She is very nice and very knowledgeable. Her husband also came down as a tag-along and has been filling his time playing music at bars and working odd jobs on campus. With the group we have been able to make runs to grocery stores and home depot-esque destinations to pick up stuff we missed the first time. It seems like, even though every trip feels like a victory, the next time you head out all you remember is what you DIDN'T get.
We also had a chance to stop by the prep school where I will be working. Al was able to meet some of my co-workers, and I was able to pick up my work laptop and some text books to look over that I will be using. Unfortunately the laptop could just as well be a piece of drift wood since the network is down and I can't so much as access the desk top. This is not my fault, however, and when it can be corrected it will be corrected.
We still have another week before Al's classes start and before my students arrive. The "for real" orientation doesn't begin until this monday when service providers, such as banks, cable companies, etc, will be on campus, tours will be given, and activities held. I will have required days of attendance at my job beginning next Thursday and running through that weekend. I will then begin teaching that Monday, the 7th, followed by another required day the next Saturday. All in all I will have to attend work for 10 days straight to begin the school year. I'm interested to see how they put these days to use.
I am a little disappointed to miss the catamaran ride around the island this Friday and I may have to miss Alex's white coat ceremony, where all first semester students are welcomed and given white doctor coats to represent their introduction to the school. I'll have to as someone to take lots of pictures.
I'm a bit nervous about the the challenges I face with teaching two widely different, and quite foreign subjects with limited resources (science and PE). I am going to bust my butt and lean on everyone I can to help me along; so don't be surprised if you get a call or an email from me asking your opinion on something. I need all the help I can get.