Saturday, February 20, 2010

Passing Time


So, what does Jake do while Alex improves her brain? Does he bask in the rays of the Earth's yellow sun on gorgeous white sand beaches? Does he sleep in, start drinking early, and nod off alone while Alex sits, slumped under a dim desk lamp? ye......no. It's taken me a while but I am finding ways to stay involved, improve myself, meet new people, and try to get to know St Kitts.

When we first arrived I struggled with making connections for myself. Sure there were other tag-alongs, like me, who wanted to socialize, and I definitely feel fortunate for getting to know them, but I wanted to my own experiences and connections beyond being the people on the side lines of Ross U. I wanted to discover the Ross community, and the world around it, for myself. Going through the cycle of a semester and observing all that happened went a long way in helping me get my bearings and learning the ropes. Now that we are well into the second semester I am putting into practice some of the things I have learned.

On Fridays it's volleyball at Timothy Beach along with most of the Ross student community. There are two leagues for different ability levels, and it's a great spot to socialize after a crazy week. On Sundays it's flag football where I play on a team of Alex's classmates. We usually lose, and sometimes the guys I play with seem to bait the other team into an altercation (real fun). I recently started going to a spouse game night. Everyone gets together to play board games, drink, and commiserate. OK, for the sake of full disclosure, when I say recently I mean that I went two days ago for the first time.

Last semester I took a sailing class with Long D. This semester I have been practicing (just a few times) to try to keep the skills. I am not nearly a diligent as Long, who seems to be on the water more often than not, but I'm still out there when I can be. Long has become a bit possessed and can often be found at work staring out the window to assess the sailing conditions and regularly steers conversations towards a nautical topic. "Mmhm, lesson plans and grading standards; sounds good. It's interesting how the teacher plays the role of the rudder, but the trimming of the mainsail and which reach to use are solely up to the child. Seas look calm today." (It's pretty sad).

I've just signed up to receive my open water SCUBA certification as well as joining the Ross SCUBA club. So far I've done one pool lesson that lasted a few hours. I still have another pool lesson, followed by a few ocean dive lessons, to complete, as well as an exam. After that I will be able to take advantage of the SCUBA club's discount dives that they organize. The islands and waters around here are so nice that it was almost impossible not to take advantage of the opportunity. Prior to this I was not much of an ocean person (I had only even snorkeled twice before this), but so dar it's been great. Alex is talking about going for her certification next semester when her class hours are shortened. After that, maybe we can do some dives together.

Lastly, I recently signed up to begin taking on lone courses through DeVry University on-line. As a DeVry employee (Ross is owned by DeVry) I am eligible for free tuition after a few months of continuous employment. I am looking at working towards a Masters of Education Technology. Depending on the pace I set for myself it's possible to complete the entire degree before we head back to the states in two years. It would be a huge bonus to our time here. If I can complete paperwork in time I may even begin classes this March. Wish me luck.

I work to get off campus when ever I can, even if all I do is drive down town after work and walk around for a bit. I don't have much opportunity to interact with Kittitians (people from St Kitts). My best opportunity comes from my friend Chrissy, with whom I work at the prep school. I have been trying to create opportunities to meet her friends and visit her town just to see what this place is like when not filtered through a Ross lens. She's really nice and very patient even though I know I can be annoying. If I give her a hard time she'll give it right back to me. She's good.

OK, I'm done for now. Alex just finished up her first round of exams for the semester and has done really well; all in the B+ to A/A- range. She works hard but the results speak for themselves. The more she can keep it up to more choices she will be left with when it's time to get a residency back in the states. If you talk to her, let her know how proud you are of her.

Seacrest, OUT~!!